Sunday 8 May 2011

My Evaluation - 6) What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?


Throughout the process of forming my magazine I researched extensively many questions about how and what I wanted my magazine to look like and to represent. Many of the questions resulted in using different tools to produce a good looking magazine.
(Above) This picture is of the website 'picnik'.
This is the website I used to construct my front page.

          
To produce my front cover of my magazine I used a website called www.picnik.com and for the rest of my magazine I used Microsoft Publisher. I chose to use www.picnik.com for the front cover because I found the website easy to use and it produced many great image tools in order to create a better picture for my magazine. When I first started to construct my magazine I used a programme called photo serif to help construct a more sustainable look for my magazine. I didn’t like the way this programme adapted my pictures so therefore I started to use the website ‘picnik’. With this programme I was able to modify the colour of the picture, making the picture look more exposed and saturated. I also managed to change the look of the temperature in the picture and I varied the contrast of the picture.
(Above) This picture is of the programme ‘photo serif’ which
 I chose to stop using as I did not
 like the way it was constructing my magazine.

Pictured right is why I did not like using photo serif, the sky ended up looking overly photo shopped and this  is what I wanted to steer well clear from. This is why I decided not to use photo serif to adjust any lightening what so ever on that programme and leave everything up to the website ‘picnik’. Additionally I also cropped the image above my model Rose’s head. I cut out some of the sky of the picture to focus the meaning of my picture. The meaning was that Rose is the key point of my magazine she needed to be the centre of attention for my magazine, I think I achieved this well. 

Continuing with the front page I was able to add the title of the magazine and I was able to add colour to the magazine. A criticism that I do have about picking the colours of the text is that the user has to get the colour right every time which is very time consuming. It would be a lot easier if we could type the number in a box and the colour would change instead of having to use the mouse and find the colour. (Pictured above). I picked a font called ‘Broken ghost for the title as I thought it stood out well and was quite soft and curvy which is a good connotation for young girls, this is because young girls are stereotypically soft. I chose it because it was curvy as if it was solid and straight it would be more for a boy, but the girls are opposite they like the curvy, loopy style and that is how I personally would associate girls. Another aspect that I looked upon is that because my consumers are girls the title of my magazine is in low case letters I did this because I wanted to give the magazine a softer look.

I chose a different type of font for the front cover to the rest of the magazine, I did this because I thought that the front page should stand out and I think that the fonts I used ‘Broken Ghost’ and ‘Love Ya Like A Sister’ worked well in doing this. 

I have also learnt that the creator of the magazine has the power to construct any particular representation because they have the power to create any article, front page, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment